The U of A Global Campus has nominated 29 students to receive WE Manning Memorial Scholarships totaling $56,000 in the 2022-23 academic year.
The Manning Scholarship helps support U of A students studying in online undergraduate and graduate programs.
“The University of Arkansas opens access to people who may face barriers of distance and time by offering degree programs online, and this scholarship further expands opportunities by helping pay the cost” , said Cheryl Murphy, vice provost for distance education and leader of the Global Campus. “We continue to grow this scholarship and are proud of the Manning Scholars who work hard to achieve their life goals.”
Each of the 29 winners will receive a $2,000 scholarship, which will be distributed $1,000 per fall and spring semester. All students who receive the scholarship study in online degree programs offered by the Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences; the Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences; the Sam M. Walton College of Business; the College of Education and Health Professions; and the College of Engineering.
Beneficiaries, cities of origin, programs
- Ashley Acord, Springdale, MSc in Operations Management
- Krishna Priya Arni, Bentonville, Master of Science in Operations Management
- Trinity Barnes, Newark, BA in Communications
- Janet Bean, Maben, Mississippi, BScN
- Crystal Brown, Bridgeton, New Jersey, Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Carla Deisher, Salem, Virginia, BScN
- John Emett, Saratoga Springs, Utah, Doctor of Education in Instructional Leadership
- Berenice Garcia, Gravette, Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies
- Tressyn Gehl, Campbellsburg, Indiana, BScN
- Sarah Grenier, Mena, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration in General Business
- Cédric Haulcy, Bentonville, Executive Master of Business Administration
- Ashley Henson, Bracey, Virginia, BScN
- Colton Hinrichs, Harrison, Professional Masters in Applied Business Analysis
- Emily Hoisington, Fayetteville, Bachelor of Science in Human Development and Family Science
- Rebecca Jones, Dumas, Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Mary Le, Pearl City, Hawaii, Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Rebecca Marshall, Sheridan, Executive Masters in Business Administration
- Nathanael Martin-Nelson, Ada, Ohio, Master of Science in Electrical Engineering
- Karen Martinez, Riverside, CA, Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing
- Julia Moura, Hot Springs, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration in General Business
- Felicia Nazarali, Crosses, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration in Supply Chain Management
- Emma Raines, Newport, Tennessee, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration in Supply Chain Management
- Brandon Salvo, Harleysville, Pennsylvania, Masters in Physical Education
- Will Smith, Little Rock, Executive Masters in Business Administration
- Alexander Tibbetts, Skiatook, Oklahoma, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration in Supply Chain Management
- William Welch, Harrison, Executive Masters in Business Administration
- Laura Wenger, Hot Springs, BScN
- Keema Williams, Houston, Texas, BScN
- Joseph Wiltshire, Oxford, Mississippi, BScN
The Global Campus Scholarship Committee selected recipients based on financial need, academic merit, and/or significant community service. Preference was given to first-generation college seekers and residents of Arkansas.
About the scholarship
The number of Manning Fellows has grown to 25 in 2021, nearly six times the number reported in the fellowship’s inaugural year in 2018, when four fellowships were awarded. Over the past few years, the Global Campus has invested over $1 million in the scholarship’s endowment fund. Generous donors have added to this amount through fundraising efforts such as “All in for Arkansas”.
Friends and colleagues of WE Manning established the scholarship fund with approximately $4,000 shortly after Manning’s death in 1993. At the time of his death, Manning was studying in a doctoral program at the U of A and ran independent study programs, a precursor to today’s self. – paced online courses.
Learn more about U of A online students on the Student Experience page of the U of A ONLINE website, where online degree programs are featured. Anyone can donate to the online scholarship fund.
About the Global Campus: The Global Campus supports U of A colleges and schools in the development and delivery of education, specializing in online, distance, and work-based programs and courses. It provides media production services, instructional design services, technology services, and assistance with marketing, recruiting, and strategic academic development.
About the University of Arkansas: As Arkansas’ flagship institution, the U of A offers an internationally competitive education in more than 200 academic programs. Founded in 1871, the U of A contributes more than $2.2 billion to the Arkansas economy through teaching new knowledge and skills, entrepreneurship and employment development, discovery through research and creative activity while providing training in professional disciplines. The Carnegie Foundation ranks the U of A among the few American colleges and universities with the highest level of research activity. US News and World Report ranks the U of A among the top public universities in the nation. Learn how the U of A is working to build a better world at Arkansas Research News.